In order to better meet the needs of people's daily exercise, many different kinds of fitness equipment have emerged in today's market. Perhaps your eyes are always attracted by popular fitness equipment such as treadmills and exercise bikes, but in fact a rowing machine is also an ideal piece of exercise equipment. Maybe most people including you only know that it is a great way to gain muscle and strengthen your arms, legs, thighs and abs while losing weight. But do you know that exercising on it also has many benefits for your body and your health? Not only does it give you a sense of well-being and happiness through the secretion of specific hormones, reduces stress and anxiety, helps you feel more confident, but it is also extremely effective against bad cholesterol and reduces the risk of various diseases. In the following article, I will take the time to walk you through the five main health benefits of exercising on the rowing workout machine, hoping to help you understand why this one simple piece of equipment is the ultimate training tool at every fitness level.
1. Enhance cardiopulmonary system and cardiovascular endurance Rowing, whether indoors or outdoors, exercises the most important muscle in your body: the heart. Exercise on the rowing exercise machine is a good way to improve your heart health. It can provide excellent cardiovascular exercise, increase blood circulation in your body, and significantly enhance your heart health, because it can maintain a constant heart rate during the whole exercise process. What's more, exercising on the rowing workout machine can enhance your lung’s ability to provide oxygen to the blood, heart and the rest of your body. Therefore, if you often exercise on the rowing workout machine, you will enhance your cardiopulmonary system. Besides, like other forms of aerobic exercise, exercising on the rowing workout machine can also help your heart and blood vessels build the endurance needed to feed oxygen to your working muscles for longer durations.
2. Promote weight loss Rowing can help maintain a healthy balance of fat mass and fat-free mass in your body. If an analysis of your body composition indicates that your body fat is high, then exercising on the rowing workout machine can help you burn a lot of calories. It is very effective for weight loss, because it is mainly an aerobic exercise. Studies have shown that a 150-pound person can burn about 252 calories in moderate-intensity rowing and about 306 calories in high-intensity rowing within 30 minutes. The higher your exercise intensity, the more calories you burn. Although the rowing workout machine can help you burn calories and fat, to achieve better weight loss, you must combine a healthy, balanced diet with regular training!
3. Build muscle strength Since rowing is a whole-body exercise, when you exercise on the rowing workout machine, 80% of your entire body is exercised, even the muscles of your joints. First of all, rowing on the rowing workout machine can exercise most of your upper body muscles. Because in the process of pulling the handles of the fitness rowing machine to your chest, your upper back, biceps, deltoid muscles and shoulders will start to move to complete the stroke. Secondly, rowing on the rowing workout machine can also effectively exercise your lower body muscles, especially your leg muscles, because your legs need to be bent and straightened repeatedly in every rowing exercise. Therefore, exercising on the rowing workout machine is very helpful to build your muscle strength.
4. Improve mental health When you exercise on the rowing machine, your body secretes hormones, including endorphins and serotonin, which make you feel good. These hormones, known as happy hormones, regulate mood, stress and anxiety. They explain the feeling of happiness that exercise induces as well as the anti-stress and anti-depressant effect of sport. Therefore, if you insist on exercising on the rowing workout machine for a long time (at least 45 minutes to 1 hour each time), your mental health will be greatly improved, which means that your mood will improve and the signs of stress, depression and anxiety will decrease.
5. Reduce the risk of disease Besides the health benefits of rowing workout machine mentioned above, it can also help you reduce the risk of diseases. First of all, exercising on the rowing workout machine can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is characterized by excessive sugar in the blood, but many scientific studies show that sport and physical activity can lower blood sugar levels in diabetics. When you exercise on the rowing exercise machine, your muscles will use glucose, so the blood sugar level will decrease, which can reduce your risk of diabetes. Secondly, exercising on the rowing workout machine can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Too much bad cholesterol in the body will increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, but exercising on the rowing workout machine can promote good cholesterol and reduce bad cholesterol, thus reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease. Finally, exercising on the rowing workout machine can reduce the risk and delay the symptoms of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease or Parkinson's disease. Especially after the age of 60, it is very important to keep active and exercise regularly. Rowing is a gentle sport that can be done at home throughout your life, even at an advanced age. Even better, exercising on the rowing workout machine will stimulate some areas of your brain, which can keep your brain active, thus reducing the risks and delay the symptoms of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's.
As you can see, I introduced you to the five main health benefits of exercising on a rowing machine in this article. I hope you can get more health benefits from it!